14 September 2015

Kickn Crohns Over On Instagram

kickncrohns
Things have been a little quiet around here, which means that life is full and busy. We've settled into our fall routine, and surprisingly, it's a bit slower than I expected. We decided to hold off on a couple activities this year so we wouldn't have to rush around as much. And, I'll be honest, with Jonas getting sick last fall our life was quickly turned upside down for several months. I've learned that I need to be prepared and one step ahead of what could happen.

This summer was good, really good. We were happy and healthy, we were carefree and active. So imagine the surprise we went through when some elevated test results came back the first week of school showing inflammation in the small intestine. And just like that, bam, the feelings of stress and fear rolled in like harsh winter waves on a rocky beach. It is difficult to express how a mother or father feels when their child is sick. It is difficult to put into words the weight you carry around daily.

At this point we were symptom free, but with autoimmune diseases life can change over night. Just as quickly as his test results, he suddenly started having stomach pains. Thankfully, they only lasted one week. As soon as we saw those test results I knew it was time to go back to a strict lifestyle of clean eating. Like I said, this summer was good. So good that I started to turn a blind eye and let him eat foods that he and I both knew he shouldn't. But he had no symptoms, no typical IBD indications, no stomach pains, nothing. So what caused this inflammation? Was it the foods I allowed him to eat? Was it the stress of starting school? I'm not sure we'll ever know, but we do have an MRI scheduled for this week and would love all the prayers and positive thoughts that you can offer. In the past all his MRI's have been good so I hope this one is no different.

Now that we are back on the strict diet of clean eating and SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) I thought I would open up a bit more and share this journey over on a new Instagram account. You can follow along here for updates on our son, what we eat, recipes and more.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! I recently had blood work done and expected it to be great because I gained weight and have been feeling awesome (and also veering a little off my normal foods here and there), so I was disappointed when my inflammation was still elevated. I am trying to rein the ropes back in!

    I love seeing your photos and updates on Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading each and every comment and will reply to them here in this comment section. Thanks!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS