30 July 2014

A PICNIC BY THE LAKE

DSC_1208.jpg
DSC_1201.jpg
DSC_1202.jpg
DSC_1200.jpg
DSC_1205.jpg
DSC_1221.jpg
DSC_1224.jpg
DSC_1235.jpg
DSC_1230.jpg
DSC_1246.jpg
DSC_1238.jpg
It's official, July is almost over and August is right around the corner. I'm a bit in denial, but I'll try my best to pick up and keep this summer moving along. I have my checklist, and I have to admit, it's pretty long! But we are determined to get through each activity to officially complete our summer. We've conquered the ocean, the zoo, the blueberry patches and now we can check off the lake.

When I took the kids to the lake for a day I felt like I fell down a rabbit hole back to my childhood. This is where I grew up. This is where so many of my memories are buried. If you look hard enough you may even be able to see my parent's house on the other side of the lake. And my best friend? She lived a street over, a three-and-a-half minute bike ride to be exact. Two minutes if I cut through the woods and the neighbor's lawn.

I can remember friends picking me up on the dock, our backpacks filled with towels and treats, to head over to "the beach" for the day. I haven't been back to the beach in years. So many years that I forget what it looked like, I forgot the smell of the lake, the feel of the cold sand that was brought in each year and the tiny snack stand where I had my daily slushy.

I forgot that summer could feel so free when you are a child.

As adults, we know how summer feels. We know how those vacations and trips to the zoo can quickly turn into a stress filled event. We know that school lingers at the end of summer and it has taken on a whole new meaning as a parent. Going back to the lake for a day made me realize just how free summer can and should be. While we played in the sand and tossed the football around, Jon called us to see what we were doing for the day, and I simply told him,
"Enjoying summer."

*This post is in partnership with Penny Scallan Designs
This tote bag has become one of my favorite carry alls! It's an all purpose everyday tote bag that is absolutely perfect for an on-the-go family.With small pockets and zip compartments inside and out, and a large main compartment, there is room for anything in this bag! The best part? It's made from 100% cotton canvas with a water repellent coating and polyester lined. So easy to wipe down and keep clean.

You can see more of Penny Scallan Designs on Facebook and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading each and every comment and will reply to them here in this comment section. Thanks!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS